Viña Tarapacá Ex Zavala came into being in the nineteenth century, in 1874, and was then named “Viña de Rojas” after its founder, Don Francisco de Rojas y Salamanca, a well-known businessman of that period. With fine vines imported from France, Don Francisco established the vineyard on the foothills of the Andes Mountains, planting grape varieties such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot for red wine, and Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon for white wine.
Later, under the ownership of Mr. Antonio Zavala, the winery became “Viña Zavala”. When Antonio Zavala and his wife split up, she received the estate as part of the divorce settlement.
Mrs. Zavala’s lawyer at that time was Don Arturo Alessandri, known as the “Lion of Tarapacá”. In recognition of Alessandri’s services, the estate was renamed “Viña Tarapacá Ex Zavala”.
In 1992, when the Fósforos Group—an important Chilean holding engaged in agroindustry, forestry and trade—took control over the winemaking operations of Viña Tarapacá, a decision was made to launch an ambitious development program targeted at international markets, backed by the estate’s “Century-Old Tradition” and the prestige it had won in the domestic market.
To that end, Viña Tarapacá acquired “El Rosario de Naltagua”, a 2,600-ha estate located in the Maipo Valley, of which 600 ha are flatlands irrigated by the Maipo River. With this acquisition, one of the main goals of the development program was achieved: to offer customers increasingly larger volumes of fine wines made by Viña Tarapacá.
In addition to being one of the leading wineries in the Chilean market, Viña Tarapacá Ex Zavala has become today one of the largest exporters in the country, reaching more than 60 countries.
Phone: (56-2) 707-6200 Fax: (56-2) 231-5072 Url: www.tarapaca.cl
Address: Los Conquistadores 1700, piso 15, torre Santa María, Providencia, Santiago - Chile
Member Type: Viña