Established in 1824 by don Francisco Ignacio Ossa y Mercado, Viña La Rosa is one of Chile’s oldest wineries, and is renowned for its award-winning, consistently excellent estate-grown and bottled wines.
It was in 1824 that don Francisco Ignacio Ossa y Mercado, an important miner from the north of Chile, decided to buy a hacienda for his first-born son, Gregorio Ossa Cerda. Don Francisco Ignacio’s search for this was over when he fell in love with the beauty of the Cachapoal valley, situated to the south of the capital city Santiago. There, he found fertile lands and vineyards.
The owner of these lands at the time was Manuel Blanco Encalada, the first president of Chile and an important person in Chilean history. When don Francisco Ignacio Ossa bought the estate, the sale included wine barrels, cellars and the estate’s main house. This is how the history of “Hacienda y Viña La Rosa” started, with the vines imported from France well before phylloxera hit the vineyards in Europe.
The Ossa seal is still present after almost two centuries of taking on this viticultural and winemaking adventure. And today Viña La Rosa is able to proudly show the results of the enormous development that the company underwent during don Recaredo Ossa’s (also affectionately known as “don Reca”) management in the 1930’s.
Since 1987, Ismael Ossa Errázuriz—don Reca’s son and the current chairman of Viña La Rosa—has shown the same passion for the land as his ancestors. Don Ismael represents the sixth generation of the Ossa family, and continues the family tradition of supervising the production of high quality, estate-grown and bottled wines.
La Rosa Brands
Phone: (56- 2) 670-0600 Fax: (56-2) 233-0353 Url: www.larosa.cl
Address: Coyancura 2283, of. 602, Providencia, Santiago - Chile
Member Type: Viña