60% of wines entered by Chilean wineries received awards ranging from regional trophies and commendations to gold, silver and bronze medals.
“We have trophy winners from Elqui to Bio-Bio, which shows the great diversity and quality of our wine regions,” says Claudia Soler, Planning and Research Manager for Wines of Chile.
In addition to impressive award statistics, the 2012 competition attracted a 21% increase in participation from Chilean wineries, indicating the growing competitive drive and industry prominence of wines from Chile.
Decanter World Wide Wine Awards boasts “the best judges in the world,” according to chairman Steven Spurrier. Judges for the 2012 competition included 54 Masters of Wine and 11 Master Sommeliers.
Chile’s successful reception by a fastidious and prestigious panel of tasters reflects the quality and character of its wine production.
“We congratulate the success of the 472 awarded wines,” says Soler.
Visit the World Wide Wine Awards website for a full list of winners.
Chilean gold medalists are listed below:
- Calyptra Sauvignon Blanc Gran Reserva 2009, Cachapoal Valley, Chile
- Casa Marin Miramar Vineyard Syrah 2009, San Antonio, Chile
- Matetic Corralillo, Sauvignon Blanc 2011, San Antonio, Chile
- Viña Casa Silva Doña Dominga Single Vineyard Carmenere 2011, Colchagua Valley, Chile
- Viña Falernia Donna Maria Syrah 2009, Limari Valley, Chile
- Viña Mayu Syrah Reserva 2009, Elqui Valley, Chile