MASTER CLASS AND OPEN KITCHEN BEIJING, 2013
￼Last year, Wines of Chile unveiled its inaugural Master Class & Grand Tasting on 24th May at Grand Hyatt in China (Shanghai). 21 wineries took part in the Grand Tasting and three speakers – flown in from Chile especially – hosted an exclusive Master Class. Three celebrated wines were showcased at the Master Class, via technical tasting, which was followed by an intimate media Q&A with speakers. Over 300 guests attended, of which 100 took part in the technical tasting – initially set for just 50, the Master Class had an overwhelming response, resulting in over 100 participants on the day.
Following the success of last year’s event, we plan to host the Master Class & Grand Tasting in the Capital of China – Beijing. This is to sustain the exposure of Chilean wines in China as well as to capture the attention of the audiences in northern China. Not only is this area one of the fast- growing regions in terms of wine consumption, but the majority of media use Beijing as a ‘hub’ or base for correspondence.
- To provide an opportunity for consumers and trade to get to know Chile, its traditions and essence – pioneer education of New World wines and advocate use of experts
- To build strong relationships with KOLs and influencers to drive WoM of Chilean wines during the event
- To penetrate online influencers and drive positive conversations by inviting prominent bloggers in China to the event
- To generate positive press coverage and showcase the diversity and quality of Chilean wines; including use of executive one-on-one profiling to help cement our story
- To showcase the diversity of Chilean wines and its applicability to local Chinese cuisine across the región
Our goal is to penetrate a varied mix of audiences, including both trade and media people. As different wineries may have different objectives – some of them would like to generate media coverage while some want to meet with potential business partners through the event.
Our aim is to provide an opportunity for people to establish relationships with their targeted industry partners and key channels in China. A larger event of this nature allows for a wider audience net to be cast.
￼Media (around 30 pax)
We will invite top-tier media in China, including both wine journalists and lifestyle publications. We will also fly in 3 to 5 key editors from Shanghai to attend the event so as to ensure we have covered all first-tier publications with high circulations in China – not only looking at local outlets, but those who cover the region and are based in China.
Key Opinion Leaders (around 10 pax)
They will be online influencers / bloggers as well as food and wine critics. All of them have a significant number of followers on their social media platforms.
Trade (50-60 pax)
To include importers, distributors, sommeliers and management from various on-trade outlets (e.g. F&B managers in hotels).
Key Industry Leaders
Work with Steering Committee, ProChile and prolific industry figures to ensure all key leaders of the industry are invited to attend; including Ambassador for Chile in China and any business contacts deemed necessary from all parties – within reason – to ensure a collaborative approach. (25 pax from each organization, roughly)
1) Master Class
A one-hour Master Class Tasting session for selected 100 guests will be set in theatre style, led by a renowned local host (Fongyee Walker, please see the profile below). Representatives from Chile will discuss and provide a guided tasting to the audiences. Specific topics (e.g. different valleys) on Chilean wines will be chosen for discussion in order to provide a newsworthy angle.
- ￼￼Profile of Fongyee Walker
- Fongyee established Dragon Phoenix Wine Consulting in 2007 to offer not only wine education in China (both in English and Mandarin) but also to help wineries and trade bodies wishing to enter China with help and support. She is also a wine columnist at True Run Media.
2) Open Kitchen Food and Wine Pairing Session
Guests and media will move into an open plan kitchen station area, with up to 7 different areas showcasing varied Chinese cuisine. Chilean team and Ogilvy team on hand to help guide this and offer food & wine pairing at each station. A renowned restaurant group has been hired to provide cooking stations, with Chef and staff on hand – all of which have experience in wine tasting food pairings – who will help to generate a lively, interactive atmosphere.
Guests will have a chance to mingle, while wine and food is tasted. A photographer will be on hand to capture this throughout and encourage photo moments of key guests, while Ogilvy staff on hand to facilitate executive interviews and ensure introductions are being made.
In terms of format, up to 100 will sit in theatre style for the tasting session, while a further 100 will be invited to attend the 2.5 hour kitchen area with wine pairings – allowing for up to 150/200 pax in total. Similarly, we would recommend keeping this session to 2 hours or 2.5 at the most; our experience showed that shorter time with higher density of people at once proves the best outcome and atmosphere.
Name: 旬会所 XUN CLUB
Location: NO.21, beiziwan road, Chaoyang district, BEIJING. (Near by the CBD in Beijing, quite easy to find and the venue can provide the parking space)
- Generate in-depth stories about Chilean wines through various interviews taken place during the event (Please see “expected coverage” below)
- Successfully build positioning of Chilean wines in China as a premium, high quality and sophisticated product with great diversity and convey the three key attributes of Chilean wine: Heritage, Uniqueness and Quality
- Build and cement strong stakeholder relationships and drive new business opportunity
We will tailor target media lists for different media opportunities, including feature or profile interviews, to assure we can get the maximized exposure for the brand with the right media channels
- Pre-event coverage: Listing coverage about the event in magazines / newspaper
- On- event coverage: Instant reports / blog posts / tweets on social media platforms
- Post-event coverage: Event report / wine reviews / profiling stories on print publications / TV
We are certain that this will be a great opportunity for your winery to increase awareness and presence among key influencers and media in an increasingly sophisticated China market. Whether you are already present here or are looking to enter the Asian market, this event will act to leverage accessibility to the right channels.
We look forward to your participation. Should you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us to email@example.com with cc:firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org