Chilean Sauvignon Blanc continues to grab attention and earn respect as word of its excellent quality continues to spread around the world. The latest round of applause comes with the results of the 2010 Concours Mondial du Sauvignon held in Bordeaux, France, where Chile’s outstanding performance turned heads with 4 gold medals, 16 silvers, and a special trophy for Casa Marín’s 2009 Cipreses Vineyard in the unoaked Sauvignon Blanc over £12 category.
In terms of the number of medals, Chile came in second only to France, but the results are even more impressive when considering percentages. France submitted 306 wines and received 92 medals (30%), while Chile’s 21 medals represent a full 36% of the just 58 wines presented to the competition.
The competition’s representative from the Americas, winemaker Sylvia Cava, said that “Chile competes with world greats and is delighting us with its extraordinary Sauvignon Blanc.”
This was the first edition of the World Sauvignon Competition, organized by the Bordeaux ODG and the Bordeaux Superior, with cooperation and support by the Concours Mondial du Bruxelles, which handled the technical aspects of the event.
In addition to the wines submitted for the competition, Chile’s participation in the event included support from ProChile, a presentation by winemaker Patick Valette during the World Sauvignon Encounter, and wine writer Eduardo Brethauer, who participated in the tastings.
TROPHY FOR UNOAKED SAUVIGNON BLANC OVER £12:
- Casa Marin Cipreses Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2009
- Canepa Finísimo Sauvignan Blanc 2009 (Unoaked SB <£12)
- Humo Blanco 2009 (Unoaked SB <£12)
- Amaral Sauvignon Blanc 2010 (Unoaked SB >£12)
- Viajero Winemaker’s Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2009 (Unoaked SB >£12)
Unoaked Sauvignon <£12:
- Casa Silva Cool Coast Sauvignon Blanc 2010
- Casas Patronales Reserva Sauvignon 2010
- Castillo de Molina Reserva Sauvignon Blanc 2009
- Catrala Sauvignon Blanc 2009
- Columbine Special Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2009 William Cole Vineyard.
- Luis Felipe Edwards Marea de Leyda Sauvignon Blanc 2010
- Mapu Sauvignon 2009
- Veramonte Special Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2008
Unoaked Sauvignon >£12:
- Errázuriz, Aconcagua Costa Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2009
- Chocalan Malvilla Sauvignon Blanc 2009
- Valdivieso Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2009
- Valdivieso Winemaker Reserva Sauvignon Blanc 2009
- Waitrose Sauvignon Blanc 2009 (Valdivieso Vineyard)
- Casas del Bosque Gran Reserva Sauvignon Blanc 2009
- Casas del Bosque Pequeñas Producciones Sauvignon Blanc 2009
- William Cole Vineyard Bill Limited Edition Sauvignon Blanc 2009