Santiago de Chile
April 6, 2009
Three special awards went to members of Chile’s wine industry.
The recently re-opened Emilio Restaurant was host to the 13th Annual Chilean Circle of Food & Wine Writers Awards Ceremony on April 6. The group has recognized quality and innovation in the fields of food and wine since 1995. This year’s honors included three wine-related awards:
The Wine Event of the Year Award recognized the importance of Casa Lapostolle’s Clos Apalta 2005 being named the world’s Nº1 wine by Wine Spectator magazine.
Winemaker Mario Geisse, Wine Director of Viña Casa Silva, received the Outstanding Wine Career award.
The Wine Personality of the Year Award went to Eduardo Chadwick, President of Viña Errázuriz, for his contributions to the national industry.
Other awards included:
● Special Rosita Robinovitch Award: Jorge Coco Pacheco
● Chef of the Year: Giancarlo Mazzarelli, chef-owner of Puerto Fuy restaurant
● Chef Revelation of the Year: Benjamín Cienfuegos, chef-owner of Cienfuegos Restaurant
● Gastronomic Career: Guillermo Rodríguez, President of Les Toques Planches, and creator-owner of the Espacio Gastronómico Project.
● Cocina Extranjera Destacada: Majestic Restaurant, northern Indian cuisine
● Excellence in Service: Julio Sepúlveda, Maître D’ of the Sakura Fusión restaurant
● Gastronomic Event of the Year: Mercado Paula Gourmet, held in October 2008 in Santiago’s Bicentenario Park
● Best Empanada in Santiago Award: Rosalía